Electrochemical Research Group, TU München
The consortium coordinator Dr. Oliver Schneider hat more than 25 years of experience in electrochemistry. He is head of an electrochemical research group located at the Institute of Informatics VI (Prof. Alois Knoll) and the Chemistry Department. The group has expertise on electrodeposition of metal layers and nanoparticles, conducting polymers, corrosion, and electrochemical energy conversion and storage. Methods used comprise the EQCM [1-3], sonoelectrochemistry [2, 4-7], scanning probe microscopy techniques [3, 8, 9] and various electrochemical techniques. Earlier work related to the targets of GALACTIF are methodological: The corrosion of metallic layers was followed by microscopic techniques [10, 11], impedance spectroscopy [12, 13] and EQCM . The deposition of poly-p-phenylene in ionic liquids was studied in collaboration with F. Endres and A. Bund via EQCM . Especially the application of EQCM in presence of ultrasound for sonoelectrochemical applications has been established in earlier work [2, 4-7]. The formation of metal nanoparticles on model substrates was investigated via scanning probe techniques [15-17]. Finally, ionic liquids were also applied in battery research and electrocatalysis [18, 19].
- O. Schneider, A. Bund, A. Ispas, N. Borissenko, S.Z.E. Abedin, F. Endres, An EQCM Study of the Electropolymerization of Benzene in an Ionic Liquid and Ion Exchange Characteristics of the Resulting Polymer Film, Journal of Physical Chemistry B, 109 (2005) 7159-7168.
- O. Schneider, S. Matić, C. Argirusis, Application of the electrochemical quartz crystal microbalance technique to copper sonoelectrochemistry: Part 1. Sulfate-based electrolytes, Electrochimica Acta, 53 (2008) 5485-5495.
- L. Seidl, N. Bucher, E. Chu, S. Hartung, S. Martens, O. Schneider, U. Stimming, Intercalation of solvated Na-ions into graphite, Energy & Environmental Science, 10 (2017) 1631-1642.
- C. Argirusis, S. Matić, O. Schneider, An EQCM study of ultrasonically assisted electrodeposition of Co/CeO2 and Ni/CeO2 composites for fuel cell applications, physica status solidi (a), 205 (2008) 2400-2404.
- O. Schneider, S. Martens, C. Argirusis, Sonoelectrochemical Deposition of Functional Composite Layers, ECS Transactions, 16 (2009) 107-118.
- O. Schneider, S. Martens, C. Argirusis, Electrochemical Quartz Crystal Microbalance Technique in Sonoelectrochemistry, ECS Transactions, 25 (2010) 69-80.
- P. Sakkas, O. Schneider, S. Martens, P. Thanou, G. Sourkouni, C. Argirusis, Fundamental studies of sonoelectrochemical nanomaterials preparation, Journal of Applied Electrochemistry, 42 (2012) 763-777.
- L. Seidl, S. Martens, J. Ma, U. Stimming, O. Schneider, In situ scanning tunneling microscopy studies of the SEI formation on graphite electrodes for Li+-ion batteries, Nanoscale, 8 (2016) 14004-14014.
- J.H.K. Pfisterer, Y. Liang, O. Schneider, A.S. Bandarenka, Direct instrumental identification of catalytically active surface sites, Nature, 549 (2017) 74-77.
- G.O. Ilevbare, O. Schneider, R.G. Kelly, J.R. Scully, In situ confocal laser scanning microscopy of AA 2024-T3 corrosion metrology - I. Localized corrosion of particles, Journal of the Electrochemical Society, 151 (2004) B453-B464.
- O. Schneider, G.O. Ilevbare, J.R. Scully, R.G. Kelly, In situ confocal laser scanning microscopy of AA 2024-T3 corrosion metrology - II. Trench formation around particles, Journal of the Electrochemical Society, 151 (2004) B465-B472.
- O. Schneider, R.G. Kelly, Localized coating failure of epoxy-coated aluminium alloy 2024-T3 in 0.5 M NaCl solutions: Correlation between coating degradation, blister formation and local chemistry within blisters, Corrosion Science, 49 (2007) 594-619.
- O. Schneider, R.G. Kelly, Localised coating failure of epoxy coated aluminium alloy 2024-T3 in 0.5M NaCl solutions: comparison of conventional electrochemical techniques and microelectrochemical methods, Corrosion Engineering Science and Technology, 38 (2003) 119-128.
- O. Schneider, An EQCM Study of the Corrosion of Synthetic Aluminium Alloys, ECS Transactions, 16 (2009) 13-24.
- W. Ju, T. Brülle, M. Favaro, L. Perini, C. Durante, O. Schneider, U. Stimming, Palladium Nanoparticles Supported on HOPG: Preparation, Reactivity and Stability, ChemElectroChem, 2 (2015) 547 – 558.
- W. Ju, M. Favaro, C. Durante, L. Perini, S. Agnoli, O. Schneider, U. Stimming, G. Granozzi, Pd Nanoparticles deposited on nitrogen-doped HOPG: New Insights into the Pd-catalyzed Oxygen Reduction Reaction, Electrochim. Acta, 141 (2014) 89-101.
- T. Brülle, W. Ju, P. Niedermayr, A. Denisenko, O. Paschos, O. Schneider, U. Stimming, Size-Dependent Electrocatalytic Activity of Gold Nanoparticles on HOPG and Highly Boron-Doped Diamond Surfaces, Molecules, 16 (2011) 10059-10077.
- J. Ma, L. Seidl, W. Ju, E. Mostafa, L. Asen, S. Martens, U. Stimming, O. Schneider, Applications of Ionic Liquids in Electrochemical Energy Conversion and Storage, ECS Transactions, 64 (2014) 407-423.
- L. Asen, W. Ju, E. Mostafa, S. Martens, U. Heiz, U. Stimming, O. Schneider, Electrodeposition of Pt - Rare Earth Alloys as ORR Catalysts for Fuel Cells, ECS Transactions, 75 (2016) 323-332.
PD Dr. Oliver Schneider
Dr. Sladjana Martens
Herr M. Sc. Lukas Seidl
Herr M. Sc.Ludwig Asen